Thursday, July 22, 2010

As sure as night is dark and day is light

I keep you on my mind both day and night
And happiness I've known proves that it's right
Because you're mine, I walk the line
¬Johnny Cash

7/14/10

Today we had a guest speaker in entertainment law. The senior production executive of the British Film Commission. She works with US studios who want to film in the UK by setting up permits, tax waivers, immigration forms, and acting as a liaison to other European film commissions. After class I went to Greenwich using the lightrail for the first time. Very easy to connect to and offered some views of the outskirts of London. I got off at the Cutty Sark and on my way to Greenwich park stopped at Greenwich market and dined on some hand made La-Mian (hand tossed noodles) and BBQ beef.

Next I went to the National Maritime Museum, which had the look and feel of the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum except for ships. Very cool exhibit on toy boats and Admiral Nelson's uniform were the highlights. Amusingly, the toy boats in the gift shop had a sign that said, "this is not a toy boat but rather an authentic replica for toy boat collectors, must be 14 or older to buy."

I head across the park to the Royal Greenwhich Observatory where the line to take your picture on the Prime Meridian was close to twenty minutes long, but well worth it. I wish I had come here with more time to explore the many exhibits further but as this is the home of GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) they were extremely punctual about closing. Though Einstein proved that all time is relative, all time on earth is measured relative to the longitude of zero degrees, which is defined by the crosshairs of the great transit circle telescope in the meridian building of the royal observatory. Pretty powerful for a line.
Fresh noodles at Greenwich Market
My favorite boat at the Maritime Museum
Straddling the Prime Meridian
Courtyard of The Royal Greenwich Observatory
View of Greenwich Park coming down the hill from the observatory with the Maritime museum behind me

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I was just there, and also had excellent la-mian noodles from the same guy in Greenwich market.

    ReplyDelete