Thursday, July 22, 2010

You say it's your birthday

It's my birthday too, yeah
They say it's your birthday
We're gonna have a good time
I'm glad it's your birthday
Happy birthday to you!
¬Beatles

7/13/10

My day started with an excellent present from Professor Biederman-Class was cancelled. I realized today on the way to my second class that this would be the first time I celebrate my birthday with classmates. It's nice, like I've been missing out on something my whole life. After class I went to the Globe Theatre to catch the matinee of Henry VIII. On the way I got lost and asked a cabbie for directions and without any insistence from me he offered to give me the ride for free. He didn't know it was my birthday until I was in the cab and I told him, and he wouldn't even take a tip! Its a good thing he gave me a ride too because I don't know if I would have made it to the shoe on time otherwise. What a nice guy. When I got to the theater the seats were all sold out. So I went outside to make a phone call and look for scalpers but to no avail. I decide I'll have to stand in the pit but as I went to buy the ticket 3 seats opened up. The one I was able to buy was in the mezzanine, center-most section, front row, aisle. What luck, couldn't have asked for a better seat. I actually had better seats than my classmates who bought tickets in advance. It really was an incredible view but the theatre is so small that there really isn't a bad seat (unless you have an obstructed view). The show was quite the spectacle. Actors were walking around the standing audience in the pit, and the costume and sets kept me mesmerized when I couldn't follow the Old-English dialogue. Seriously, someone needs to teach these people to spake anglish!

Later in the evening I went out with my media law professor and some classmates to Asadal, which claims to be the best Korean restaurant in Europe. Where I had a delicious meal of Korean Barbecue (cooked on the table) and had my first taste of plum wine (strong stuff). After dinner I went out with some friends from the program but it being a Tuesday night most of the bars were closed (or at least in this neighborhood they were). We did manage to have a few drinks at Frevd which was way to hipster for its own good and played blaring loud music in what felt like a bohemian concrete basement. It was a good time.

Thanks to all for the kind birthday wishes. Sorry for those whose calls went to voicemail but know that I had a great time celebrating with incredible people.

No comments:

Post a Comment