Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Ow, we want the funk...

Give up the funk
Ow, we need the funk
We gotta have that funk
¬Parliament

7/2/10

I woke up, showered, and ran out the door because I forgot to set my watch from London time to Brussels time and I only had seven minutes to get to the EU Parliament on time. I didn't make it on time. Fortunately, I wasn't the only one and the group leaders had the foresight to wait a little longer before beginning the tour, plus the security was thorough so I actually arrived fifteen minutes before the tour left.

The parliament is stunning but more importantly air-conditioned (something that is seriously lacking in Europe). The tour began with a forty minute civics lesson on the EU and the Parliament where I learn such things as: the president of the EU Parliament is named Jerzy Buzek (Jersey represent), how votes are allocated, and how there are over 100 parties though only 8 of prominence. From there we had a tour of the facilities seeing where people worked and voted and learning more about the entire process.

From the EU Parliament we walked over to the MPAA's European headquarters, which looked as though it had been plucked right out of Hollywood. We met with some executives and other staff members and discussed the type of work they do here. How they have to work with local counsel in each country, issues with privacy rights that are more protected in some countries over others, and the rules that protect people online, which protect pirates as well.

From the MPAA I head to the train station (Bruxelles Midi) and begin the journey to Amsterdam. While I was reading on the train I heard that Holland had just beaten Brazil. Cant wait to see how Amsterdam will be celebrating. When I arrived I watched an epic Uruguayan win over Ghana. Loved those PKs. I go out to enjoy a little bit of the Dutch nightlife, but the people I was travelling with were less interested in doing the same so I headed home with them.

Group Photo at EU Parliament
EU Parliament
MP Lissmann considers the amendments to the Swedish fishing bill
Train to Amsterdam

3 comments:

  1. JERSEY REPRESENT! haha histerical. glad u finally mentioned the world cup in a post. Ive been watching the whole thing and i have to credit u and my boy dave (ASU not Che) for my interst. Im pissed uruguay lost to the dutch but ill be rootin for them tomorrow (technically today). PS...I love one line in this entire post because it reminds me of u most (I will let you guess what it is, when i see u in a few weeks, i hope u ask me which line it was if u cant figure it out on our own). RICCY D OUT, One Love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. but we must know...

    how are the crumpets in england?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to try crumpets so I will have to get back to you

    ReplyDelete