Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Inside the museums...

Infinity goes up on trial
Voices echo, "this is what
Salvation must be like after a while"
¬Bob Dylan

6/25

After a shower and some breakfast I head north along the River Taff toward City Centre. On my way I passed Cardiff Castle (which I plan to visit tomorrow) which is absolutely stunning but the way this city acts towards it you would think it is nothing more than a high school. I made my way to Civic Centre where I saw some statues, a park with druid ruins, the law courts and city hall before going into the National Museum in Cardiff. The museum was incredible. There was a great interactive exhibit on the evolution of Wales that began at the dawn of time and ended with predictions of the future. The exhibit consisted of a series of rooms each one with its own display pertaining to that time period.

Much more interactive than the museum of natural history. Instead of just being dioramas on display, the animals were animatronic and moved. Also the rooms were all designed like caves with seats built into what looked like rocks, so kids were inclined to sit and watch the educational movies which were shown in both English and Welsh. It was the first time I heard the Welsh language for more than a sentence. Very strange. I then went to see some of the art in the museum. It turns out they had the largest collection of French Impressionists outside of France. Highlights included paintings by Monet, Manet, Renoir, Cezanne and a statue by Rodin. Before leaving I looked at some Welsh ceramics.



My bed at Nos Da

Cardiff City Hall

Druid ruins near the museum

The inside of the National Museum in Cardiff

Some French Impressionism

No comments:

Post a Comment