Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Lost in the supermarket...

I can no longer shop hapily

6/19/10

Today I woke up dizzy and disoriented, struggling to acclimate to Greenwich Mean Time. Hungry I asked the concierge at the Hilton-Euston where I could get some bangers and mash. He sent me to Mother Mash in the West End. The bus ride was easy enough, but the walk which looked so simple on paper proved to be confusing. Though I managed to go in the right direction the entire time, I had trouble distinguishing some small streets from alley ways which were not marked on the map.

Walking down the street was the first time I felt that I was in a foreign city and it makes me long foe the layout of New York with its evenly distanced blocks and ease of knowing which way is north. At Mother Mash I have 2 bangers a Lincolnshire and Cumberland along with mash and some Colman’s mustard (I must remember to bring home a jar). Delicious! This meal reminded me of Arrested Development.

Tobias (as Mrs. Featherbottom): Okay, who’d like a banger in the mouth? Oh, right. I forgot. Here in the States, you call it a sausage in the mouth.

Michael: We just call it a sausage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtW7eaSvd6A

I head back to the hotel to grab my luggage and check into the dorm. When I arrive I’m very impressed with the facilities. Everything is very nice and clean, plenty of storage space for books and clothes, great desk and workspace, comfortable bed, private bathroom, and downstairs there’s a refectory (cafeteria) lounge with TVs, Ping Pong, Pool, Foosball, a computer Room and more.

I drop of my things and head to Tesco to buy some groceries while The Clash’s “Lost in the Supermarket” plays on repeat inside my head. I’ve noticed that there are many more public cameras here. Anyways, when I return I meet some people and we go out later that night to Jerusalem, some club on Rathbone Street and already I can tell that this is going to be an amazing trip.

6/20/10

Today we had orientation. I met my professors, rules were laid down, and I saw the classrooms. Pretty standard. Afterwards, the whole group goes to the London Eye for some spectacular views of London walking back I pass many important looking buildings and start to think about which one’s to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment